Rising Star Profile: Daniel Millar maintaining that “Will” to get back to Croke Park!
Tyrone GAA have certainly enjoyed an enviable record in the underage inter-county ranks in recent times and following sustained work and development through the Tyrone GAA Academy, the teams at Under 17 and Under 18 level continue to fly the flag high in 2017.
In the month of April the County completed an Ulster GAA Under 17 and Minor (Under 18) Football League double and already in the first ever Under 17 provincial and all Ireland championship series, the Tyrone team have booked their place in the Ulster final – with impressive victories over fancied Donegal and Down sides.
There are currently six players involved in both panels, with the two championship grades running in parallel to each other. We have already featured one of those players, Antoin Fox, in our ‘Rising Stars Series’ an we now bring another, as Tyrone Life caught up with Killeeshil‘s very exciting young footballer, Daniel Millar, who scored two all-important goals in the Ulster U17 championship opener against Donegal.
Daniel is also one of a few players in the squad to have also featured already at Croke Park in the current campaign, having played at HQ with St. Ciaran’s College, Ballygawley, in the All Ireland Schools Final there in March.
‘Rising Star Profile’
(Killeeshil, St. Ciaran’s College & Tyrone GAA)
Achievements to date in:
- Tyrone Club u14 grade 1 treble and u16 grade 1 championship
- Schools Trainor Cup, Rafferty Cup, McLarnon Cup, Ulster Colleges Future All-Star
- Tyrone Minor league
Other sports –
- 3v3 basketball tournament
- Survived a brutal 10 hour shift in Quinns Corner last Sunday
- Knockmany Tournament at Primary School
- Primary school football with DK – he really believed and inspired us!
- Killeeshil underage football teams – getting to Feile 2014
- Still making memories with Killeeshil minors
Best and worst Sporting memories overall which have stood out for you so far…
Playing in Paddy Drummond the cup in Croke Park earlier this year was probably both of these – fantastic to play in Croke Park but disappointed to have lost in the final to Mayo
You have reached the age of 75, are sitting in a ‘rocking chair’ and looking back at your life. What things would you be hoping to look back on positively that you have done in…
Didn’t spend all my time working.
Zambia – I didn’t go on recent school trip and inspired by stories from friends that went
Something you did in your Community…
Being a coach. I would like to say that I gave something back to the club. It is only now that I appreciate the commitment from all the coaches and volunteers in the community!
You achieved this one big ambition? What is it?
Got another chance to play at Croke Park
Football… Tell us about…
Best 3 players you played with – what’s their best trait?
- Jamie McMenamin – hard as nails
- Sean Bogue – time keeping
- Rory McElroy – commitment
Best 3 players you played against?
That’s a difficult one…
- Pat Traynor – fittest man in Errigal
- John Donaghy – positive attitude
- Gary McAleer – sharp shooter
3 things really good about Killeeshil Club?
- Support from entire community – at the minute building a new stand – all voluntary
- Fantastic chairman
- Great youth support and coaching for all teams – especially underage teams
Best match you’ve been involved in?
U14 championship Dromore vs Killeeshil
Tyrone GAA Academy – best points about it, how you’ve improved?
- Knowing that any player taken on or off is as good as the next.
- Never taking for granted a place on the squad
- Honest and positive feedback from coaches
- Learning to play and get along with lads from different clubs, even Dromore or Errigal.
One thing you think will change in Gaelic football in next 10 years?
“I hope the defensive systems change and football becomes more attacking again.”
What else are you involved in – what you like most about it?
At the minute with school, football and part time job, I don’t have a lot of time to get involved in other sports. I have played both soccer and basketball but my preference is Gaelic Football
Funniest “Laugh Out Loud” Scene in a Movie:
The hangover- Mike Tyson punch
Put a name of someone you know to the characteristic below…
- Confident: Wee Gerard
- Great craic: Damien Corrigan
- One liners: Brendy Trainor
- Scary: Iggy Gallagher
- Tough: Paul Devlin
- Fast: Collie Holmes
- Skillfull (sport): Barry Grimes
- Genius: Paudge Quinn
- Trendsetter: Sarah-Jane
Funniest person you know? One sentence that best describes them?
Danny O’Hagan – man who makes abuse funny
Name 2 people who you’ve always thought were ‘spitting doubles’:
Conor Kelly and Tiffy Quinn
Favourites/Best – which one…
Lionel Messi or Ronaldo – Ronaldo
Batman or Spiderman – Batman
Mercedes or BMW – Mercedes
Ed Sheeran or Justin Bieber – Ed Sheeran
Conor McGregor or Johnny Sexton – McGregor
Golf or Tennis – Tennis
Rugby or Soccer – Rugby
Boxing or UFC – Boxing
Rock Music or Country – Rock
Disco or Band – Disco
Best 3 songs to play while training?
- Labi Siffre – Something Inside So Strong
- The Script – Hall of Fame
- The Lumineers – Stubborn Love
Black Card or Sin Bin – Sin Bin
15 or 13 aside – 15
SkyTV or RTÉ – RTE
Peter Canavan or Frank McGuigan – Peter Canavan
Colm Cooper or Bernard Brogan – Colm Cooper
Lee Keegan or Diarmuid Connolly – Diarmuid Connolly
Joe Brolly or Pat Spillane – Joe Brolly
- My 2 uncles – Patsy and Stephen
- Hub Hughes
Players to play for Tyrone:
- Peter Harte
- Niall Sludden
- Muhamad Ali
- Usain Bolt
- Kobe Bryant
- Roy Keane
- The Rock
- Matt Damon
Music Video: One I starred in at St Ciaran’s – Shake it Off
- Laochra Gael
Movie: When the Game Stands Tall – ones of the greatest winning streaks in sports history
Best thing on the internet?
Old football matches
Place (For a nite out): Tailors House then Tiffys
Place (apart from home): Killeeshil football pitch
Sports Venue: Croke Park
Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat or Twitter? Why?
Facebook – funny videos
Inspirational Quote you like?
‘Where there’s a will there’s a way’